Saturday, December 02, 2006

In my kitchen...

with 3 twelve year old boys, I ask:

so guys, what's up with the graffiti at the skate park?
B1: It's cool!
Me: don't be a dork, it's your skate park, I'm asking this seriously. This is something you guys can be involved in. I ever find out any of you do something like that I'll make sure you get in so much trouble. I know your parents. And your principal.
B2: Why don't they just leave it?
me: The city has an ordinance that says graffiti must be removed in 72 hours, the city should have to follow its own rules dontcha think?
B2: It's already been up way longer than that.
Me: So they get it cleaned up, how do we stop it from happening again?
b3: It's the older kids who do it
me: the ones who bring the bikes?
b's x 3: Yeah, they show up with bags and big coats with stuff in the pockets, yeah, big duffel bags, and throw them down all over, we' ve tripped on them and stuff, they are kinda mean to the younger kids.
me: how old are these kids?
b2: older than us, like high school
b3: yeah, probly 15 - 17, and they stay later than us, after dark.
me: does anyone ever run them off?
b2: theres an older couple that sits down there sometimes that says something once in a while, and sometimes if there's a parent around they will say something but the kids don't pay them much attention
b3: yeah till they see someone on a cell phone, then they take off for a while, but they come back.
b2: the cops should come by and run them off.
me: do the cops ever stop down there?
b2: some times they walk up on the tracks, and look at the skaters, and we see them drive by, but the kids on bikes watch for them
b3: sometimes we'll be in there and we'll hear "cops" and all the guys on bikes take off for a few minutes, but they come right back.
me: so what do you think should happen to them?
b3: they should get banned
me: but how does that get enforced?
b2: well if there was like an attendant or something to make sure there weren't any bikes coming in
me: see, now we are back to having someone there, (we talked about that part before) and that is what is going to end up costing you. The city isn't going to pay someone to enforce the rules with out that money coming from somewhere.
b1: a robot would be cool, you could put him on wheels and-
me: focus boy, this is real life! the city isn't going to get a skate park robot! (It would be cool tho.)
b3: maybe they could get like volunteers, the guy at zoomiez in the mall might do it, he is really nice.
me: so you think an adult just being there would make a difference? I don't think the zoomiez guy can do it by himself, either.
b's x 3: Oh yeah, if there was just someone hanging around, and kids knew they would get in trouble for breaking the rules, it would make a difference.
me: but you guys know there are cameras there, doesn't that make a difference?
b2: they don't work
me: what do you mean, they don't work?
b2, b3: someone put grip tape on the poles and climbed up there and snipped the wires, yeah, long time ago, and the lights too, everyone knows.
me: so you're telling me the cameras and the lights don't work and everyone down there knows.
b2: oh yeah
me: so if the cameras worked, do you think that would help with the graffiti?
b2: yeah, well if kids knew people could see them they wouldn't want to get in trouble
me: so say the cameras worked, and someone got caught, doing that, what should happen? should their parents get called, or the cops or what would make you not do it again?
b2: the cops, that would scare me
b3: yeah, if kids knew the cops would get them they wouldn't do it
me: so, you don't think kids are worried about the cops down there?
b2: no, they never do nuthin', just drive by once in a while or look in. kids run but they come right back.
me: you guys know what a webcam is?
b's x3: oh, yeah, those are cool
me: think if kids knew their parents could watch them on the computer they would behave? (You should have seen the looks on their faces!)
b2: well, yeah, but...
me: would fencing it do any good?
b3: only if there was a gate, and someone to make sure they didn't bring bikes in
me: ok, but we are back to a person there
b2: maybe they could put up those pillars like at school, so a bike couldn't fit through, and tall so you couldn't toss it over
me: that is actually a pretty good idea. but, we have to be fair and not discriminate here. how do you make it so a bike cannot fit through, and a fat kid can?
(unfit for print. these are 12 year old boys.)
me: so you think it will help if they fix the cameras?
b2: yeah, until they get cut again. maybe they should hide like nanny cams around that no one knows where they are

We talked for quite awhile. I told them to think about it, and talk to other friends, and let me know if they come up with any ideas.
One idea I have discussed is a small concession stand, where a guy could make a little money selling them soda and candy, and with the authority to kick kids out or call for backup if needed.
However, there would still be times when no one was around, for the artistes to create masterpieces.

I think one of the main issues here is that these kids see that there is no one getting caught for doing things wrong. The boys that I was talking to are good kids. They know there are not so good kids at the skate park and that those kids are not worried about getting caught for breaking the rules.
The City talks about self policing, but how do 10-14 year old kids make 14-18 year old kids follow the rules?

0 Old Comments: