Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Tribune

I have lived in GF most of my adult life and the newspaper options have been a continual subject, first with my Father and now with my Other Half. The online version doesn't have the parts I want to read, and my searches always end on a page that says it couldn't find those keywords. When we bought our house five years ago a retired fellow down the street was the delivery guy. He gave us free papers untill he talked us into subscribing, and our news was on the door when we got up, sometimes 4:00 or 4:30 if we were going fishing or hunting. We didn't always read the thing, but it was there. When he died suddenly and we got a new delivery person, things changed. No longer was the paper tucked inside the screen door to keep the snow off, but tossed on the lower step, or not there at all. Getting the paper before leaving for work became a long shot, and sometimes it didn't appear at all. After several calls to an automated voice mail, the subscription was cancelled. If I see something I feel like reading I will buy the paper. On Thursday (Outdoors section) and Sundays we always purchase a paper, usually at a store, since we have lost money in the convienent box around the corner an untold number of times. (Complaints to the nice voice mail again.) Now we get an average of 3-4 calls per month from them trying to get us to subscribe. They stand at the exit of the grocery store trying to get me to subscribe. They send us "We miss you" letters in the mail. Hey, I said NO! Don' t telemarket me, harrass me at the store and try to talk me into reading your opinion on something I saw on the news last night - sometimes from both points of view!

0 Old Comments: