Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Say what?

So I got this in one of my less secret E-mail addresses.

Dear Ms. Firefly,

Thank you for your supportive comments regarding the development of American oil and gas resources. It is a pleasure to hear from you.

What comments? How did you hear from me? I have never e-mailed any political entity.

Like you, I believe it is vital to increase and diversify our domestic production to include the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) and our American-owned offshore assets. Developing these American-owned resources will strengthen our economy and energy security while protecting consumer's pocketbooks. ANWR is one part of a comprehensive national energy policy that will strengthen our overall national security and energy independence. Energy development in ANWR will boost North Slope oil production, lower oil prices, and create many jobs in Alaska and elsewhere in the United States .

Like me? Now you are agreeing with an e-mail from me that I never sent, telling you things I may not agree with?

On August 1, 2006, I voted for and the Senate passed S. 3711, a bill to enhance the energy independence and security of the United States by providing for exploration, development, and production activities for mineral resources in the Gulf of Mexico, by a vote of 71-25. This bill provides for opening more than 8.3 million acres of American-owned territory in the Gulf of Mexico for oil and gas leasing, while maintaining a 125-mile buffer zone in waters around the Florida coast. As you are well aware, the prices of oil and natural gas have skyrocketed over the past few years. It is estimated that 1.26 billion barrels of oil and 5.8 trillion cubic feet of natural gas may be domestically recovered from this area. Opening up this area to domestic energy development would directly increase available U.S. energy supplies, which would reduce foreign and domestic energy prices. This bill will now go to a joint House-Senate conference committee to reconcile the differences between the House and Senate passed versions.

Uh, so how soon is the price of gas going down?

Thanks again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact my office with any other questions or concerns that you may have.

I didn't contact you! But now I will! Your office will hear my concerns about unsolicited political e-mails telling me I agree with things I may not agree with!

Sincerely,Conrad BurnsUnited States Senator*DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. For future correspondence please refer please refer to my website at http://burns.senate.gov/contact*If you would like periodic email updates on important issues for Montana, please sign up for my newsletter at http://burns.senate.gov/newsletter to my website at http://burns.senate.gov/contact

And I will damn well reply to this damn message if I damn well want to. Putting it in all caps doesn't scare me!
And don't you dare put me on your e-mail list, even though I'm probably already paying for that, like the nice flyers you send in the mail, that say right on them "payed for with taxpayer money."

0 Old Comments: