Thursday, October 12, 2006

Skate Park

The Tribune recently had an article on this, as did Aaron over at TSJ. I have been thinking about the issues raised, and discussing what goes on over there with a group of small people. Yes, small people. The ones who say, Mom, can we go to the skate park.
I am concerned. I am concerned about the need to to enforce an ordinance the City has in place. I am concerned about the thought of writing tickets to children. I am concerned with the thought that my son and his friends need to be fenced away from the rest of the park while skating. I am concerned that parents do not make sure their kids have needed safety equipment. I am concerned about the fact that there are parents who will blame the City for their children being injured at a public facility covered with signs stating "At your own risk".
I do not have answers for the concerns that have been raised.
I know my son and the friends he skates with understand the rules, and follow them. I know if my son were to be injured while skating there, I would consider it my responsibility to pay any medical costs. And I know if he continues to tell me that most of the problems are caused by older kids, and kids violating the rules by bringing bikes and such to the park, that I will go there with him as an adult, parent, member of this community, with a responsibility to the community and all the children in it, and enforce the rules while my child is there.
Helmets are cheap, people. Teaching your kids safety and responsibility is free. The City should not have to do it for you.

0 Old Comments: