Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Questions.

A friend asked yesterday why I didn’t write a piece questioning Dona’s presence, and absence, on these blogs. I thought about it and this is what I came up with. I am not trying to be confrontational, rude or disrespectful. These are honest concerns, and I do not believe I am the only one who wants answers. So, with all due respect:

Dona Stebbins, Mayor of Great Falls

The people on these sites are citizens of this city, and we supported you when you ran for political office. We cheered when you criticized the same things we did, you were a voice among us, with many of the same issues and concerns we had. We celebrated when you were elected, and looked forward to changes in this City.

On October 7th in a Greater Falls thread concerning Explore! The Big Sky, you stated “I do think the city has a responsibility to promote events like this, but the City’s responsibility to the taxpayers MUST take precedence. Let’s hope everyone learned to PAY ATTENTION!”

On October 31st I said “I have no impact on the outcome of this election except my single vote on election day.”
On November 2nd you replied “That single vote has great power! Put enough of them together, and change happens. It is my belief that our elected officials have forgotten where the true power lies. It is not really theirs - it belongs to all of us, and only theirs on loan. Government derives its’ power from the consent of the governed.”

On November 14th, after winning the election you stated “My allegiance is to the people of Great Falls.” You went on to say “To those who supported my candidacy, thank you all. I will do my best to represent you fairly. You know that I will listen and answer your questions.”

These are things you said, and I agree with wholeheartedly. But there have been issues brought up, and questions that need answers. Not so much about the coal plant, but about the City’s involvement, financial responsibility and managerial abilities in the electrical utility. We just want to know what our City is doing, and who will be left with the debt if, somehow, this is not as beautiful and perfect as we are being told.

Who is listening now. GeeGuy has been relentless in his search for answers. He has questioned on his blog, written to the Tribune, written to Colleen Balzarini. Where are the answers?

“The City’s responsibility to the taxpayers MUST take precedence. Let’s hope everyone learned to PAY ATTENTION!”

We have.

0 Old Comments: