Sunday, October 08, 2006

You didn't think I gave up did you?






I recently had reason to pull a copy of the Missoula Sign Code. Now I know that the Great Falls committee used Missoula's code as a guideline during the ah, restructuring. So it was with a bit of surprise that as I read through this thing, I am struck by how our code basically says the same thing in several instances, but with more words and less clarity. Why didn't they just copy the damn thing!

"Temporary political signs are allowed anywhere even on public property as long as they are placed at least 12 feet from the back of the curb. This wording is the same in the current code. The reason is that Great Falls has varying boulevard/public right of way distances and for ease of campaigning this provision was added."
12'? Really?Have I mentioned I don't like the allowances for political signs? And are they not still supposed to be "Of professional quality, with no loose or peeling paint..." ?

None of these pictures are intended to show any bias, real or imagined, by anyone, toward any business or political entity. However I think (isn't there something in that code about abandoned signs?) two of them may be in need of a little tender lovin' care, and one is just a political sign, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Before complaining about new signs why don't we look at some of the signs that could be taken down? Do either of those first two signs actually serve a purpose in this town? Could they?


0 Old Comments: