Tuesday, December 27, 2005

I love books.

Books. All those stories, just sitting there, waiting to be brought to life by someones imagination.
I just finished Robert Parker' s Widows Walk. I like his writing, The new Jesse Stone novels are very good.
I am always worried about seeing the movie of a book I liked. I was very impresed with the Lord of the Rings. Harry Potter translates well into movies, I quite enjoy them. I have high hopes for the Narnia movie, animation is a wonderful thing, and it should be fairly simple to transpose the storyline into a screenplay. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was all right, but it is so much richer in the book, the movie lost a bit. Congo was a letdown. That book scared me so bad, I should have been hiding under the bed after the movie. (And yes, scary movies still scare me if I know what is going to happen.) I hate horror movies where they have people doing dumb things. Oh my gosh, there is a noise outside the cabin-let's all run out in the dark! Sorry, I am staying inside and counting my bullets, identify yourself before you come back in!

3 Old Comments:

I rented Master and Commander with Russel Crowe when it first came out. What a #%@^# dissapointment. It was an awesome book, but the movie absolutely sucked. It would be just like taking the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy and cramming it into one 90 minute movie. There should be a law.

By Blogger Justin, at 5:13 PM  

We saw Narnia on Christmas day- Son#2 (14) walked out saying "they forgot this & this& this"". I enjoyed it but I think book allows you to imagine more than they can put on a screen anyday.

I totally agree about horror flicks! Give me a good comedy anyday!

By Blogger ZenPanda, at 10:23 PM  

The all-time classic for lost in translation between book and movie is "Contact" with Jodie Foster. The book contains incredibly thought provoking concepts, while the movie is just a sort of lame, sci-fi thing.

By Blogger GeeGuy, at 9:15 AM