Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Ever since I began my foray into the world of blogs I have been a regular reader of Treasure State Jew. I find religion facinating and have for many years been interested in many different kinds. Reading Aarons blog, some views on the Christmas season and its religious connotations were addressed, which got me thinking. So I have been doing a bit of reading on his particular religion. I would like to make it clear, I intend no insult, criticism, or indorsement of any religion, belief, faith etc. This is me trying to understand how different people live their lives.
I was especially curious about food and the role it plays in this faith, since food is something that everyone needs and is addressed in virtually every religion. I was not aware of the meat and dairy segragation. This must make it difficult to go to restaurants and non Jewish dinners. However I have great respect for anyone who incorporates religion into every facet of their life, having seen far to many people who simply proclaim their faith, go to church a few times and consider themselves devout. I read on a post at TSJ that there were in fact 613 Commandments. Had to read them, since I did not know this before. I found them to be quite in-depth, addressing everthing from harvesting crops to divorce. I intend to continue reading some of the information I found. I now have, and will continue to gain a better insight into how members of this religion live in our current society and merge their history and religion into daily life.

3 Old Comments:

Firefly;

Thanks you for the nice words! I am glad that people enjoy reading what I write.

Despite its name, my blog is not primarily about religion. However, my faith is an important part of who I am. It certainly colors my opinions and my posts (and certainly the recipies I post on my blog!)

For another Montana Jewish perspective, I heartily recommend Mike's blog at the Last Best Place.

As long as we all have tolerance for one another, society thrives. Along with that, government should just stay out of relion. To take a note from the Christian religion, there is great wisdom in the thought that one should "[r]ender unnto Caeser what is Caeser's, and render unto God what is
God's".

B"Shalom,

Aaron

By Blogger Treasure State Jew, at 3:12 PM  

Where did you find your info to read? I have been reading at http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/index.html
The Jewish Virtual Library

Aaron- I like the way you said this: "As long as we all have tolerance for one another, society thrives. Along with that, government should just stay out of religion."

I do not consider myself Christian so finding others who do not shun me for my choices is very comforting.

Love both your blogs guys!

By Blogger ZenPanda, at 10:38 AM  

just googled "jewish religion" and picked one, till I found ones I liked. Aaron and Mike also have links.

By Blogger a-fire-fly, at 12:27 PM