Thursday, March 09, 2006

Hunters Safety

I have been attending spring hunters safety with the boy. I am the only parent who is sitting in on the class. Fish and Game signed up 244 kids. Our class had 29 signed up and 26 showed, not bad. All the instructors are volunteers. Ours is very blunt, not making it out to be all nice and pretty. I appreciate that. Touched on alot of subjects but the focus is on firearm safety. The kids got to handle guns last night, how to accept a gun and check if it is unloaded, etc.

...I was talking to my son on the way home from the first class and was explaining how I believe kids are being desensitized to the true power of guns. They get toy pistols to play with. They see people on TV and movies who get shot and it barely slows them down. The adults in their lives do not inforce the dangers of playing with guns. You can lock your guns up. You can tell your kid not to play with them. But if that kid gets hold of one, it might be played with. And someone may die. If that child is tought the realities and has seen the true power of a gun, has had the recoil knock him on his ass, has had his ears rung, has seen something fall over and die- that child will have much more respect than the one who has been told "don't play with guns." You play with toys. You do not play with guns. You respect guns. Always.

Anyway. We went over calibers, velocity, diffrent kinds of loads. He has shells taken apart, so they can see the bullet, powder and cartridge. Go over different actions, parts of the gun, what does what, how different actions chamber the round, shotgun vs rifle. Teaches them how to PROVE the gun when accepting it from another person. Has volunteers come up and go through it. Kid accepts gun from teacher. First thing he does is put his finger on the trigger. Teacher was waiting. "Every class kids do this. You are used to putting your finger on the trigger-Why? Because every kid has picked up a toy gun, and first thing you do-pull the trigger!"

Ha, see Mom is right!

I am enjoying the class. I havn't learned anything I didn't know, but it is great to see all those kids being opened up to a whole new experience. They are learning the right way.

1 Old Comments:

Amen firefly. When I was a kid my dad's guns were never locked up, none of us kids would have even thought about touching one without the old man there to supervise, and any friends we brought over had damn well better stay away from them too if they ever hoped to come back. I've had my kids shooting ever since they were old enough to reach the trigger, and we started practicing things like checking to see if a gun is loaded, and keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction even before that. If kids see guns everyday, they're commonplace, and if they've seen the effects they learn respect. If kids never see a gun and don't know anything about them, and someday happen to find one, well, those are the kids that play with them and end up killing somebody. My kids hardly notice guns, but if they do find one, they know what to do with it. More importantly, they know what not to do with it. Great post firefly, and just for the record, my wife went to hunter's safety with my son as well. When I was a kid either the dads took the kids or they went by themselves, I think it's great to see more moms there. Like a lot of women, my wife didn't grow up around guns like I did, it was a great opportunity for her to learn a few things.

By Blogger Justin, at 12:58 PM