Monday, March 06, 2006

Know what really irks me? No? Well I'll tell ya.
I own my house. Well, in another twenty some years, but we are considered homeowners. Pay the taxes every year. Shovel the walk. Mow the lawn-and the boulevard. Cuz if you don't the neighbors call the city about the weeds that grow over eight inches. (Had that happen to the neighbor-and yes the guy was over there with a tape measure!) No big deal. We like the place to look nice. However. We have this humongous elm tree on said boulevard, which is growing, as it has for years, and which we water, as is our responsibility, so it may continue to grow. Right up under the sidewalk, which is beginning to buckle and has a portion raised enough to be deemed by the city as a danger to pedestrians. And will cost US about $1300 dollars to fix. And we must use a contractor the city approves of. And pay for it out of our pocket. In addition to the taxes we pay for boulevard and tree maintenence. And we MAY NOT determine that the tree is damaging our property, and remove it, since both the tree and the sidewalk are city property. Even though it has also damaged the section of walk leading up to our front step, which we must also pay for, in addition to the sidewalk.

Now do not get me wrong, I like trees. I yell at kids I see abusing the little baby trees the city planted down the street to replace ones they had to cut down. But this tree is going to continue it's destructive ways. Say we replace the sidewalk. How long before more roots destroy that and the next homeowner has to replace it?

I am relatively pleased with our alley though. Everyone on the block payed a percentage of the cost to get it paved. Really cut down on dust and pothole problems. We do have some issues with the people down the street thinking they can blow through at 40 mph, but we have found ways to curtail that. And the city accepted responsibility for maintenance. It would have been nice if they had graded it correctly, since right now all the snowmelt is draining under our garage door to puddle in the garage. But nothing a good floor squeegee won't fix, and it does keep the floor clean.

3 Old Comments:

A. - That's why I don't live in the city.

B. - Good job on the alley. I live in an alley, sort of. It's owned by the county, but they won't maintain it. Most of my neighbors are far too concerned with collecting welfare and smoking meth to give a damn that there's potholes in the thing that could swallow a Volkswagen, so guess who gets to foot the bill to fix the damn thing? Likewise my shop sits lower than the alley so when we get one of those nifty spring thunderstorms that drops a torrent of rain in a very short period, I have a six inch deep muddy river cascading through my shop that I get to shovel out the next day. Oh well, since I'm the one that's going to redo it this summer, I don't guess they can say too much when I cut the grade the other way and send the water to the other side of the road, and I hope they like the 2" pipes that I'm going to stake to the ground across it for "speed bumps". Gotta slow the crackheads down somehow.

By Blogger Justin, at 8:54 AM  

Here is a true story. Years ago we were renting an apt, behind which was a paved alley. Our neighbor drove a tow truck, and was on call over night. We got along very well with this neighbor, and he was considerate about noise at night. Now there developed a large pothole in the alley, which he had to drive over when leaving with the truck, which caused the attachments on the truck to bang, clang and generally make loud noises. He called and requested a pothole fix. I called and requested a pothole fix. the neighbor on the other side complained repeatedly, to many parties. After several months of this, the good neighbor brought home a quantity of asphalt and he and my OH proceded to fix the pothole. Did a very nice job. The city was there within a day to tell us we could not fill the potholes in a city maintained alley. Loud argument with varied insults flying around insued.

By Blogger a-fire-fly, at 10:02 AM  

Here's a little hint, go to your local Ag chemical salesperson, or any farmer you happen to know, and ask for/purchase some Tordon. Apply it liberally to the base of the tree. In a matter of weeks the tree will be dead and the city will then be responsible for removing what belongs to them on city propery, and will likely replant a new tree that will be easir for you to manage as it grows.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:54 PM