Thursday, February 09, 2006

Identity.

A bit perturbed with the eldest child on this snowy morn I decided to drive about a bit and see what I could see. Across the bridge and down by the river I got an excellent photo of the Milwaukee Station, snow on the roof, evergreens stark against the white lawn, etc. Then I turned across the river. Grain elevator, assorted industrial buildings, the Smelter. Two sides of the river, two sides of the coin, two parts of a whole. One side is rather ugly, but it is also very important. It is the history of this town just as much as the beautifully restored Station. It got me thinking how often decisions are made based on what will look nice.
You all know I have been rather, ahh… involved in the sign code. This is mainly because I feel that there are some major flaws concerning personal rights and equality. I am not going to go into that right now. But it bears on my morning musings because of some of the historic signs in our quaint little town. Fords Drive In. The lettering painted on the Milwaukee Depot. The sign on top of the Pin-N-Que. The Montana Bar. The 3-D. These signs are a part of the history of this town, and I think they need a little special consideration. And who has been to Lewistown and enjoyed all of the murals on virtually every wall in the business district? We have a mural on the old Army/Navy building-but it cannot be changed, and will soon become non-conforming and removed, I assume. I am curious what will become of the few old signs still existing on some of the downtown buildings. Like the Owl Cigar ad on the old Town Tavern building.
How many people watched the Smelter come down, and now regret the fall of the greatest landmark of our town, our history that is no more.
As we consider the Identity of our town, let us remember what started it, got it through the tough years, and persevered into the present. We may have been the ugly stepsister, but our grandfathers had jobs, our town grew and prospered to where it is today. . We didn't need millionaires building vacation homes to finance our growth, we don't have a college doubling our population every fall. We have the base, the health care industry, and a lot of hard working citizens dedicated to making this a great place to raise our children. So lets be happy with what we have, and make it better. How many more small, local businesses do we have to lose in the name of ecomomic progress?
What are we trying to become?

4 Old Comments:

I have a nice shot of the second attempt to bring the stack. I'll post it on flickr.
I'd love to see your photos from this excursion. (Being grounded sucks when you want to be out with the camera)

By Blogger ZenPanda, at 8:14 AM  

oops, I guess it was the original attempt at bringing down the stack.

I think the community as a whole is confused as to who we are supposed to be and not willing to make us known as US.
It called GREAT Falls for a reason.

By Blogger ZenPanda, at 8:21 AM  

I am working on getting something set up. I love taking pictures, and digital is the way to go! I have some great pictures of New York I want to put up to.
I love this town. I was hoping to spark a discussion of why people are here, what regular people feel about the long term interests of the citizens of the city. I'll keep trying.

By Blogger a-fire-fly, at 10:54 AM  

Firefly, an absolutely excellent post (I wish I would have read it sooner). I don't know what the answer is, but I know we're getting closer when people stop describing our town apologetically as "not Missoula."

We have an inferiority complex. And yes, we lack an 'identity.' But three of the boomers have an identity that was given to them: two universities and two lakes.

While I picked on the Tribune a bit for their "identity" contest, it sure wouldn't be bad for our community to gain a little pride. But, frankly, I think the Tribune is part of our problem. I don't think that a bunch of know it all, elitist, out of staters preaching at us day in and day out answers our problem. They mean well, but...

John Kramer once said to me that it is a bit by bit thing. Every little success helps a community feel pride, until it becomes a self-sustaining thing. Malt plant, Centene, the Buttrey computer thing, AvMax...will we fight it?

Our City Government is part of the problem. Dona helps, but it's "staff," not the Commission, that causes the problems.

How about this? We form a group, and teach economics and entrepreneurship to our high school kids, with a heavy dose of how we'll help them get going in this town. I'll volunteer time. Anyone? Anyone?

By Blogger GeeGuy, at 11:34 PM