Saturday, June 03, 2006

Well, I was just over at TSJ and he has a post up about a religious subject. Some of his commenters got me thinking. I was going to comment, but decided not to, went and did other stuff. But my little mind kept returning to the subject. So I said to myself, Self, you have a blog, so write about this. And here we are.

A couple years ago, one of the most important people in my life had some very sudden and serious heart problems. Less than two weeks after she was diagnosed , she was in the hospital in Billings, having open heart surgery. This was extremely traumatic. To say the least I was very stressed. We got to the hospital at 6:00 in the morning, checked in, tried to keep ourselves from getting to emotional, and soon off she went on the little bed, to be cut open and hopefully repaired.
Six hours in surgery and recovery before we would get to see her, if everything went well. Now this is a religious hospital, so the nice volunteers who try to keep family and friends from going crazy while sitting in the waiting room waiting and waiting and waiting..... make sure you know where the chapel is in case you would like to address your concerns to those higher up while waiting and waiting and waiting..... Well time passed, and I could not sit any longer. Already full of nervous energy, I decided to go smoke and walk about outside for a few. Hit the coffe shop on the way down, and wandered about outside ingesting caffeine and nicotine, to calm down a bit you know.
Worked great. Yeah.
Any how I took the long way back to the waiting room, kinda checking out the place as I went, and I ran across the chapel. I actually went in to look at the etched glass. But it was quiet, and peaceful, and I ended up sitting in there, crying, talking to God. It did not matter what religious order had built the chapel, what religion payed the power bill, what religion I was. I prayed for my sister, and expressed my fears and my jumbled emotions, and finally just sat, relaxed and at peace for the first time in weeks.

Do the who does what, and where, and when really matter that much when it comes down to the bottom line? Do we spend to much time making sure things are socially correct, not stepping on any toes, and end up losing sight of the big picture?

The men and women in the military have religious beliefs. Whatever they are, religion is present in their lives. Doesn't it make sense for the military to have support for that part of the person the same as everything else? If my tax-payer dollars have funded access to that peace for a soldier that needed it, I am glad. It's only money. There are more important things in life.

0 Old Comments: