Saturday, January 14, 2006

I was downtown yesterday, at 600 Central Plaza and as I returned to my car I looked up and there was the Montana Bar sign, nicely decorated with bird droppings and such. As those of you who read this blog know, I have mentioned this sign a few times in the past. This is because it bothers me. This bar has been closed for years. Why is the sign still up? We have a nice new sign code, with a whole section on signs that advertise a defunct business. Passed by our City Commission, despite… well we won’t go there. Now I do not know who owns the building, but I know who used to own the business, and I think someone should stand up and follow the rules. I know for a fact that a local sign shop, licensed, bonded & insured, offered to remove this sign free of charge. All he wanted was the sign, because it is old and unique. His offer was turned down, because there was a plan in place to remove the sign and install it inside another downtown business. (Because it is old and unique.) This all took place last year. So. Why is this sign still up? Anyone have any info?

5 Old Comments:

Investigate the relationship to the Montana Bar and Commissioner Jovick-Kunz.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:14 AM  

Anonymous - I am aware of this relationship. Are you suggesting that despite voting for the sign ordinance, a Commissioner is violating the rules she helped enact? She has worked with the Downtown Association for years, been involved in BID, a City Commissioner, etc. Everyone knows her relationship to the Montana Bar. I am just wondering why the sign is still up. It should be no different than any other sign in this city.

By Blogger a-fire-fly, at 10:22 AM  

My dad is old and unique, thankfully devoid of bird droppings most of the time, but I'd get extremely disturbed if someone tried to remove him. ;)

By Blogger Justin, at 9:33 PM  

I'm wondering too, Firefly. Why no enforcement against her? Is it not against the sign ordinance?

By Blogger GeeGuy, at 10:48 PM  

Old sign ordinance, new sign ordinance. I believe there have been a few statements about equal enforcement being more important than a new set of rules?

By Blogger a-fire-fly, at 10:24 AM