Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A great loss for us all.

Mr. Fisher was my teacher at GFHS in my last year, when I crammed senior classes and my remaining junior classes together in a last ditch effort to actually graduate. I took virtually every art class offered by the system during my school years. I was terrified of taking a foreign language, and I enjoyed art. Mr. Fisher offered me a spot in his AP art class my final semester, and gave me a rather stern lecture (for him) when I turned it down. I told him to give the spot in his class to a better student who was more likely to use the opportunity, and college credit, than I was. He informed me that I was as likely to benefit as any other student, and even if I never took college courses in the art field it would still benefit me to have that credit. And that it was a much larger offer than I realized, as my previous art teachers from CMR had actually contacted him on my behalf.
He was very passionate about art and the benefits his students could gain from participating in the arts. I truly regret not listening to him, and understanding what he was trying to tell me. I remember running into him at Paris Gibson Square a few years ago, and not only did he remember me, he got in a little dig about me not taking that class. And we agreed he was absolutely correct, I should have taken that class.
He was a good man, and a wonderful teacher.

4 Old Comments:

No offense, Firefly, but I would have pegged you as older than that.

By Blogger GeeGuy, at 9:33 PM  

I turned 33 on Sunday. Graduated in '91. He had been an art teacher in Gt Falls since '80, at GFHS since '87 and received his 25 year teaching certificate last year. Spent over half his life as a teacher.
I'm just so damn wise for my years. And I only look 25! :)

By Blogger a-fire-fly, at 9:49 AM  

Sheesh. And I thought you were older than me!

By Blogger GeeGuy, at 2:59 PM  

I forgive you.

By Blogger a-fire-fly, at 10:01 AM