Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Hmm...

I've been thinking about feminism, and what it means.
As defined in my handy dandy little desk dictionary;
"feminism" The policy, practice, or advocacy of political, economic and social equality for women.
Now I personally don't care too much about the political aspect. I figure there will most likely be a female President some day. I don't really care. Politicians are what they are. People will make a big deal out of it. However there are some issues there. I totally agree with J. Rankin's vote on war. (If you don't know what I'm talking about go do some research.) I will never vote for someone just because that someone is a woman. And I do not believe women should be on the front line in a war. Men want to protect us, and it would cause problems. Now my thing about the front line should not be taken to mean I do not think women could fight effectively. Some could. Probably a lower percentage than men.

Economic. I don't really know about this. Do female doctors and lawyers make less than male doctors and lawyers today? I know there are jobs that women physically cannot do as well as men. There are jobs where gender doesn't matter. I have been payed less than a man for doing the same job. Pissed me off. I quit. Didn't think it was fair. But I really do not see it as a big problem here and now.

Social equality. Huh. The roles of men and women have been defined and redefined so many times I don't even understand what social equality is. Is it someone holding the door for you? Taking your coat? Making small talk at a party?
Equality would mean I can open my own door. But I hold the door anytime I feel it is polite. I tought my son to, and will teach my daughter the same.

Do women hold up the banner of feminism while expecting men to adhere to old fashioned values? Paying the tab, holding doors, changing flat tires. I see it every day. "I can take care of myself, make as much money, be everything you are - Eeekkk, a mouse! Save me!"

Save me because you are a big strong man and I am a woman.

Maybe men and women are just different, and their roles are constantly changing. Maybe we need to stop labeling everything, calling it wrong because it is not the same, and realize nothing can ever be absolute.

5 Old Comments:

Eeekkk! A sexist!

By Blogger GeeGuy, at 2:49 PM  

I think I agree with Rankin on her vote against WWI. However, I don't see any justification in her vote against WWII.

Moral objection to the Axis aside, our country had just been attacked and invaded by an enemy that could well have wanted to establish a presence on our soil. WWII was a war we needed to fight.

By Blogger Treasure State Jew, at 2:59 PM  

Sexist- the belief that one sex is inferior.

Sorry, but I do not think that. I believe they are different.

I can change a flat tire-if I feel like it.
If not, I have nice legs, and men always stop.

Is it wrong for me to let a man change my tire when I am perfectly capable of doing it?
Is it wrong for a man to assume I need help changing my tire because I am a woman?

By Blogger a-fire-fly, at 11:12 AM  

Hey, relax. It's hard to smile when posting a comment!

By Blogger GeeGuy, at 8:53 AM  

I figured.
Thats why it took me so long to respond.

By Blogger a-fire-fly, at 9:19 AM