Friday, April 14, 2006

Well, there was more to that last post, a rather smart alecky kinda short story about lawyers on the bridge in the fog, and liability, and things in triplicate and stuff, but I got a phone call, and things started going on and in like ten seconds everything was moving about twice as fast as my brain and I had to try to catch up, and things got deleted and posted when I wasn't ready, and I just now got back around to telling you all that. And isn't that a pretty magnificent run on sentence.

Well. I have a sorta rant. Ready?

John Kramer is leaving. Frustrated and weary. Can't blame him.

Should the City get out of golf? Out, out, out!!! Get out! Get out!

"A non profit operator would offer a number of advantages" Hmm. Like ACCOUNTABILITY & MANAGEMENT.

I have watched as horse racing has deteriorated, declined, atrophyed, over the years. You see, working at the track got me through many summers, without ever having to work in a typical horrible teen job. When we returned from Billings and I had just had my son, and really needed a good part time job, I went to the track. I know those people, and the lifestyle, and hated to watch the decline of something I loved due to mismanagement and negligence. It got a last gasping chance when SMG came in, but is too little, too late. Not enough people who could have made a difference put out the effort.

Golfers, you need to get involved. Stand up and tell the City those are your golf courses, and you expect and demand a certain level of competence in those that manage them.

If this city needs an attitude adjustment, the citizens are the only ones who are going to make a difference. Are you happy with where we are? Do you feel secure with where we are going? I hear (and read)* people complaining all the time, and I ask how many commission meetings have they been to, have they looked into this or that, did they vote, and I find they are just bitching and not doing anything. And half the time, they don't even really know what they are bitching about!* Yeah, that helps. You cannot expect things to change just because you think they should. You must go out on that limb and stand up for what you think, and believe. Learn the facts and stick to your guns. And if you fail at least you will know that you tried. And you can keep on trying. If enough people try there is no limit to what can be accomplished.
*Most of the people whose blogs I read are exempt from this.

I had a 11 year old kid apologise to me the other day for an incident where we both knew he had done wrong. I guarantee that looking me in the eye and saying sorry was one of the hardest things he has ever done. But he sucked it up and did it. It was his choice to say it, he didn't have to. But he learned something that will last. That freedom of choice. He knows I have a bit more respect for him, and that he did the right thing. If he keeps adding those little bits of character, honesty and respect, he will be a great person someday. He will stand up for himself and what he knows is right. That is all I could ask.

Okaay, I'm done. G'night.

1 Old Comments:

The irrigation on holes 3 thru 7 has been failing for years and was not replaced during the project. The maintenance crew spends a lot of hours repairing breaks and the holes suffer greatly because of this miserable system. I would think it would be a better use of money replacing the system than building features such as sand traps and mounding which will make care for these holes even more difficult. The pipe, valves, wire, conduit, and controllers have already been purchased. I know irrigation is not as exciting as sand traps but it has a big role in the condition of the course. I'm not sure having the golfers run the course is a good idea however, they could not do worse than the current management.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:16 AM